Advertisement

Friday, October 15, 2010

Recipe Review : Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes"

I was craving for mashed potatoes. My dietitian warned me that potatoes contain a lot of carbs which could eventually lead to spikes in your blood glucose. I wsa so dissapointed. But I was so happy when I saw this alternative on www.diabetesdaily.com. So I tried it since it was a simple recipe to do. The verdict?


Here’s my review.

Let me say that except for the fact that I was struggling to find an alternative gravy sauce and ended up buying one of those instant gravy mixes to add to the authenticity of the mash potatoes. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference.

I asked my wife and daughter to guess what I used, and they said “why would you use anything other than potatoes, or is this a trick question?” They got the shock of their lives. My daughter actually said, now I love Cauliflowers even more!


Have a try at it and let me know what you think about it.



Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes"

1 head cauliflower

1 clove garlic (optional)

1/8 cup skim milk, plain yogurt, or good butter

Salt & pepper

Paprika

Steam cauliflower (optionally with a clove of garlic) until tender. Cut the cauliflower into pieces and place
in a blender with the milk, yogurt or butter. Season with salt and pepper and then whip until smooth. Pour
cauliflower into small baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika and bake in hot oven until bubbly.

Serve with roasted Aspauragus. (Optional)

Servings: 6

Amount Per Serving :: Calories: 57 • Carbohydrates: 12g • Fiber: 5g
Sugars: 5g • Total Fat: 0g • Saturated: 0g • Trans: 0g • Sodium: 91mg • Protein: 4g

Just a reminder though, you may want to watch how much gravy you would be adding as this could cause you to spike. It tastes good even without the gravy but I was looking for the classic style mashed potatoes so I indulged a tiny bit of gravy(around a tablespoon). Enjoy!!

Till next post

No comments:

Post a Comment